Route 295 Northbound through Carney’s Point reopened earlier this morning (Friday).
Both directions of Route 295 are now open, but the Route 140/Hawks Bridge Road bridge over Route 295 remains closed in both directions.
We reported yesterday that I-295 Northbound was closed in this area due to a truck carrying a large piece of construction equipment was too high to pass under the overpass, and damaged girders and concrete decking.
To ensure safe passage of cars passing underneath Route 295, an NJDOT contractor removed two steel girders and a portion of the roadway decking.
As seen in the images here, the removal was almost the entire shoulder on the impact side of the bridge, and included the sidewalk, side concrete barrier and protective fencing.
The full text of the NJDOT press release is below. They also offer detour instructions.
(Trenton) – New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced I-295 northbound reopened at approximately 4:15 a.m. today, Friday, February 24 in Carneys Point, Salem County. The Route 140/Hawks Bridge Road Bridge over I-295 remains closed in both directions.
I-295 northbound was reopened after NJDOT’s contractor, IEW Construction Group, completed the removal of two girders and a portion of the deck on the Route 140/Hawks Bridge Road Bridge over I-295 that were damaged when a truck carrying construction equipment struck the bridge on Tuesday evening.
NJDOT is evaluating what repairs may be needed to safely reopen and restore traffic on the Route 140/Hawks Bridge Road Bridge over I-295. Route 140/Hawks Bridge Road eastbound is closed at Route 130 with access maintained for local traffic. Route 140/Hawks Bridge Road westbound is closed at the bridge with traffic diverted onto I-295 northbound. The following detours remain in place until further notice:
Route 140/Hawks Bridge Road westbound detour:
- Motorists on Route 140 westbound will be directed to take the ramp to I-295 northbound
- Take Exit 4 for Route 48/Salem Business Center/Carneys Point
- Turn left onto Route 48 westbound
- Continue on Route 48 westbound to Route 130;
- Take the ramp to I-295 southbound
- Take I-295 southbound to Exit 2C for Route 130/Deepwater
Route 140/Hawks Bridge Road eastbound detour:
- Motorists wishing to take Route 140/Hawks Bridge Road eastbound will be directed to take Route 130 northbound
- Turn right onto Route 48 eastbound/East Main Street
- Turn right onto CR551/South Pennsville Auburn Road
- Turn left onto Route 140/Hawks Bridge Road eastbound
Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info or on the NJDOT Facebook page.